The Osoyoos Fire Department has a few pointers for youngsters and their families.
It’s Fire Prevention Week and the department will be holding a open house this evening at 6 p.m.
On display will be the department’s fire trucks and other equipment. The firefighters will be providing a barbecue dinner and refreshments.
Then, they’ll take to the parking lot for a street hockey game against local RCMP.
In the meantime, the reminder is whether you’re at work, driving your car or relaxing at home, fire can ignite at any time.
Home fire account for about 90 percent of all fire-relate fatalities. Fire can spread radily through a home, leaving a family as little as two minutes to escape safely once the alarm sounds. Remembering these tips could save your life:
Do some fire prevention planning:
- As a family, find and remember two ways out of the house.
- Pick a safe place to meet outside
In the event of a fire:
- Carefully check if a door is hot before opening it.
- Stay low to the floor.
- Call 911 after you’re safely outside.
- Dont go back in the house for anything.