Oliver shooting suspect captured
in movie-grade circumstances

In a series of events that might be best described as the plot for a “B” movie, a man wanted in connection with an attempted murder in Oliver last week was captured Saturday in Princeton.

Afshin Maleki Ighani, 45 of Oliver, was arrested in Princeton early Saturday afternoon following the report of a woman being kidnapped.

Mr. Ighani had been the subject of a Canada-wide manhunt, wanted for an attempted murder stemming from a shooting incident in Oliver April 19.

Around 11 a.m. Saturday, Princeton RCMP received information that an adult woman had allegedly been forcibly confined in her vehicle after she and a male companion gave Mr. Ighani a ride.

According to RCMP, the three were acquaintances.

“It was reported that while in a restaurant parking lot, the male was ordered out of the car and (Mr.) Ighani left with the man’s girlfriend still in the car,” Cpl. Dan Moskaluk reported.

“The male victim then allegedly stole a motorcycle from the restaurant parking lot and attempted to follow (Mr.) Ighani, who had departed Princeton eastbound.”

RCMP checkpoints were set up in the Keremeos area, in efforts to intercept the vehicle; however, only the male on the motorcycle was observed coming through, at which time he failed to stop for police.

“Penticton RCMP officers located the stolen motorcycle in Okanagan Falls shortly after. The man had abandoned the motorcycle and fled the area on foot. Efforts are underway to locate the man.”


RCMP also dispatched a helicopter to Princeton, with police eventually being able to locate the stolen vehicle Mr. Ighani was reportedly driving via a cell phone ping in the Manning Park area. The vehicle was reported headed back towards Princeton.

“The vehicle was spotted by the RCMP helicopter entering the town of Princeton where officers on the ground converged on it in a local trailer home park,” reported Cpl.Moskaluk.

“RCMP officers noted that the vehicle was still occupied by Mr. Ighani and the woman.”

After an officer fired at the vehicle, Mr. Ighani fled without the woman, who remained inside the car. Mr. Ighani was tracked and captured by an RCMP dog team a short distance away in a wooded area nearby.

“Extensive investigative efforts continued on throughout the week since the shooting incident in Oliver,” said Cpl Moskaluk. “They involved a large number of police resources from the various detachments from the Penticton South Okanagan Regional Detachment, in order to safely apprehend Mr. Ighani.

“We are relieved that we were able to take him into custody without any harm to the public or our officers.”

None of the individuals were injured during the arrest. RCMP investigators are continuing to investigate.

Mr. Ighani remains in custody on the strength of the arrest warrant and is anticipated to be remanded into custody with the further charges being considered.

He already faces at attempted murder and other charges stemming from the April 19 incident that involved a shooting incident in the area of Station Street, after the victim had presented himself to South Okanagan General Hospital.

The adult male suffered a minor gunshot injury as a result of the encounter.

Oliver RCMP also attended to a residence on Tulameen St., where they contained the property throughout the evening and evacuated residences in the immediate area.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.