Highlights from Town of Osoyoos Council meetings held Tuesday, Feb. 19.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9 a.m. on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2 p.m. to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE MEETING
- Denise Eastlick, Executive Director from Osoyoos Desert Centre provided Council an update on the activities over the past year, upcoming projects they are working. Ms. Eastlick advised they will receiving their new building in April. The Osoyoos Desert Centre is one of the first sites for the bluebird’s boxes.
- Tracy Wall, Deputy Assessor from BC Assessment Authority provided Council with an update on how assessments are valued on different properties, the relationship between assessments and taxation, and assessment roll highlights.
- Council directed staff to prepare an updated Street Food Vendor Selection Bylaw and Approval Policy amendment for Councils consideration for a later date.
- TRUE Engineering provided an overview of current Osoyoos water quality and its relationship to changing Canadian Drinking Water Standards (Standards) in regard to implementation of Maximum Allowable Manganese concentrations. The presentation included Osoyoos treatment and source options that Council will need to consider in order to address the higher than allowable manganese concentrations that are proposed in the new Standards.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Delegation of Authority Bylaw No. 1292, 2019 was read three times. This Bylaw delegates the authority to make expenditures of budgeted funds up to $150,000 to the CAO and directed that the Bylaw be brought forward to the next Regular Council meeting.
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.113, 2018 was read a third time. This Bylaw Amendment is allowing for a site specific retail cannabis store to be located at 8322 Main Street.
- Sewer Rates and Regulations Amendment Bylaw No. 1065.20, 2019 was adopted. The Town’s bylaws are reviewed each year and when changes are required they are brought forward as an amending bylaw to update the content and/or the fees and charges.
- Water Rates and Regulations Amendment Bylaw No. 1242.11, 2019 was adopted. The Town of Osoyoos operates their Town water system under the Water Rates and Regulations Bylaw No. 1242. The Town’s bylaws are reviewed and when changes are required they are brought forward as an amending bylaw to update the content and/or the fees and charges.
- Water District Rates and Regulations Amendment Bylaw No. 1241.12, 2019 was deferred to the March 4, 2019 Regular Open Meeting.
- Council approved funding a portion of Cactus Jalopies funding request of $11,000 in the amount of $6,500 from RMI funds.
- Council approved funding the Osoyoos Lake Paddle Club in the amount of $5,000 from RMI funds
- Council approved making in kind contribution to the Osoyoos Elks Lodge Roots and Blues Festival by waiving any rental fees from the Sonora Centre for this event.
- Council approved the funding of the Osoyoos Airport Development Society request for $15,000 from reserves in 2019 and $15,625 if grant funding is obtained for 2020 from reserves on the condition that all the development plans are approved by Council.
- Council approved the Licence to use to Wine Country Racing Association Airport Use Agreement for 2019.
- Council gave pre-budget approval for the purchase of a new tire changing machine.
- Council appointed Councillor King and Councillor Bennett to review the annual community service grant submissions with the Director of Community Services for the four-year term.
- Council proceeding with installing a platform lift at the Sun Bowl Arena and include a lift for Desert Park in the 2020 Budget.
- Councillor Bennett attended the School District #53 meeting.
- Councillor Bennett attended the RMI Strategic Planning session.
- Councillor Bennett attended the presentation from Kara Burton at the Library regarding the Museum.
- Councillor King attended the RMI Strategic Planning session.
- Councillor Harvey attended the RMI Strategic Planning session.
- Councillor Harvey attended the presentation from Kara Burton at the Library regarding the Museum.
- Councillor Harvey attended the Inaugural Library meeting on Wednesday, February 19.
- Mayor McKortoff congratulated the Osoyoos Atom Dev team who won silver at a tournament on the weekend.
- Mayor McKortoff thanked the Osoyoos Senior Basketball coaches who organized the basketball tournament that was held in Osoyoos. Congratulated the Osoyoos Sr. Boys basketball team who came in second.
- Mayor McKortoff attended the Osoyoos Desert Centre Winter Talk. The Mayor encourages everyone to attend these great events.
- Mayor McKortoff thanked the Operational Services department in plowing sidewalks this winter.
PUBLIC HEARING AT 4 p.m.
- A Public Hearing was held in the Council Chambers on February 19, 2019 at 4:00pm for the Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.115, 2018. This Bylaw Amendment proposes to add “retail cannabis sales” as a site specific permitted use for the subject property at 7603 Spartan Dr.
PUBLIC HEARING AT 4:30 p.m.
- A Public Hearing was held in the Council Chambers on February 19, 2019 at 4:30pm for the Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.114, 2018. This Bylaw Amendment proposes to change the zoning from R1- Single Family Residential to R2-Single Family Residential Small Lot for the property at 3810 Lobelia Dr.
SPECIAL OPEN MEETING
Council deferred giving third reading to Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.114, 2018 -3810 Lobelia Dr. until a further date.