Highlights from the Town of Osoyoos Council meeting held Monday, July 16..
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
- Alex Welch and Noel Szelwski from InterVISTAS Global management consulting firm and Glenn Harris, Osoyoos Airport Society gave a PowerPoint presentation for the Osoyoos Airport Strategic Plan. Mr. Harris stated further development of the Airport would create more full-time jobs and help develop Osoyoos into a four season community.
- Linda Larson, MLA gave a presentation inquiring which Ministers Council would like to meet with at the 2018 UBCM convention.
- Director Dinwoodie gave Council a report on the Recycle BC changes to the Town’s Recycling program
- Council directed administration to bring a Zoning Amendment Bylaw for debate and decision that reflects site specific zoning limited to C1, C2 and C3 as a method of identifying location for retail cannabis. Council also directed staff to bring back policy development site selection options for retail cannabis locations.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Council Indemnity Bylaw No. 1345, 2018 was adopted.
- Municipal Ticket Information Amendment Bylaw No. 1279.14, 2018 was read for a first, second and third time. This bylaw allows the Town to assess fines for infractions under the Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw No. 1333, 2017.
- Council approved the agreement with ICBC for Information Sharing Agreement. This agreement allows the Town to obtain vehicle licensing and ownership information for bylaw enforcement (municipal ticketing).
- Council approved the RMI Modification Agreement with the Province of BC. The Town of Osoyoos is designated as a Resort Municipality and the original contract was renewed in March of 2018. This amendment to the contract confirms the payments for 2018.
- Council opted out of leading a public consultation process for a proposed Distillery at 7502 Main Street. Council directed staff to provide comments to the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch, should they request assistance.
- Council authorized the borrowing of $37,324.00 from MFA to purchase a 2019 F250 Pick-up truck from Metro Motors Ltd for Operational Services.
- Council authorized the borrowing of up to $50,000.00 from MFA to purchase a 2018 Boomer 40 New Holland Tractor with a Wren Flail Mower from Rollins Machinery Ltd.
- Councillor Youngberg encourages residents who can help the Desert Park Society spray for Puncture Vine.
- Councillor Campol encouraged residents to help those who need a ride during the heat wave and reminded everyone to not leave pets in the vehicles.
- Councillor Rhodes encourages everyone who is interested in aviation or airports to watch the Committee of the Whole meeting from July 16, 2018 meeting.
- Councillor King attended the Osoyoos Desert Centre announcement of the new building.
- Councillor King encouraged everyone to attend Music in the Park on Friday’s at Gyro Beach.
- Mayor McKortoff reminded everyone to be conscious and careful of the dry weather and report any fires.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9 a.m. on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2 p.m. to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.