Good morning, Osoyoos, it’s Monday, February 1, 2016. Here’s what you need to know as you get your day started.
- Osoyoos weather: Look for a mix of sun and clouds today with a high of 1 this afternoon. Much cooler overnight with the thermometer dipping to -8.
- Osoyoos Town Council will meet today at 9 a.m. as a Committee of the Whole and again at 2 p.m. for a regular Council meeting. Items of particular interest include a report from the Desert Centre, a look at how Osoyoos could be more bee-friendly and a review of pre-budget priority projects. You can catch all the scintillating action at www.osoyoos.ca.
- Three of four South Okanagan Chamber of Commerce business excellence awards went to Osoyoos-based businesses Friday evening as the SOCC held its annual AGM and Excellence Awards shindig in Oliver. Stop by today and congratulate everyone at Jojo’s Cafe, Buy-Low Osoyoos and Osoyoos Home Hardware.
- The Coyotes swept the Kelowna Chiefs in a home-and-home series over the weekend to run their Okanagan division-leading record to 33-9-1-1. Summerland’s 6-2 win over those same Chiefs last night means the Coyotes remain 10 points ahead of the second-place Steam.
- Look at the person on your left and the person on your right. Angus Reid says two of the three of you are “pretty happy” with your life. B.C. residents, by the way, were the second happiest bunch of people in Canada, just behind Quebecers. Folks in Atlantic Canada were the least satisfied with their lives — but Albertans weren’t too happy, either.
- The sexual assault trial of Jian Ghomeshi begins today in Toronto.
- Cheater, cheater: a secret motor was found on a cyclist’s bike at the world championships. Now we’re doping bikes?
- The madness that is U.S. politics gets started this evening as voters in Iowa cast ballots for both Republican and Democratic candidates in the first caucus primary south of the border. Don’t worry, folks, it all wraps up in about nine months.
- Did you watch Grease: Live last night? Enquiring minds want to know what you thought.