CNN’s new president, Chris Licht, says that starting today, CNN has added a “Breaking News” guide to its style book, to address the overuse of the breaking news banner across its network and news on cable channels.
why does it matter: Warner Bros. Discovery Yacht CEO David Zaslav has made it a priority to call again Party programming on CNN in favor of the traditional press.
- “We are tellers of truth, focused on informing our viewers, not panicking them,” he said in the memo obtained by Axios.
- “I’ve already seen far less of the ‘breaking news’ banner across our programming.”
details: Licht said he agreed with complaints from “people inside and outside the organization” that the network passed the “breaking news” banner.
- “It has become such a staple in every channel and network that it has lost its impact on the audience.”
- To address this issue, CNN bureau chief Sam Fest led a team in developing “breaking news” guidelines for CNN style writers, according to the note.
- “It’s definitely going to need tweaks, so we’re open for feedback, but this is a great starting point for trying to make ‘breaking news’ mean something big is happening,” Licht wrote.
The Big Picture: Zaslav and educator and investor John Malone have publicly announced their push to bring CNN back toward tough news coverage, moving away from progressive commentary.
- Noting that the network focuses on “information” and truth, he said, “The content of our voice should holistically reflect that.”
- “[W]It has to be lively, relevant and respectful — and how we appear to our audience, in every story, in every part of the country, and around the world, matters.”
“Friendly web trailblazer. Extreme pop culture advocate. Reader. Organizer.”
Looking for an Online Casino? Here are 5 Signs that It’s Legit
Robin Williams Net Worth: Check out the veteran actors real worth
Everything you need to know about Evil Dead Rise