The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen is offering homeowners who heat with old wood stoves or wood fireplace inserts a $250 rebate to upgrade to a cleaner burning unit.
From now through April 30, homeowners can receive the $250 rebate when they trade an old wood stove or wood insert for a new cleaner burn technology EPA/CSA emission-approved wood, pellet, electric or gas stove or insert.
Participating retailers may also offering upfront discounts.
The program is available to homeowners living in Municipal or Rural Areas of the South Okanagan and Similkameen (in the RDOS region) but is limited to the first 52 exchanges.
To take advantage of this offer:
- Visit your local participating HEARTH PRODUCTS RETAILER
- Pick out a new CLEAN BURNING hearth product, freestanding or fireplace insert. Choose from EPA certified WOOD, PELLET, ELECTRIC or GAS burning models
- Render non-usable and recycle for metal scrap your old wood stove/insert (ask your Hearth Dealer how to do this)
- Hearth Dealer will fill out all the forms
- Receive your $250 rebate cheque in the mail
- Receive additional discounts off the price of a new CLEAN BURNING Hearth Product from participating retailers at the time of purchase
According to the Regional District, new EPA wood stoves and inserts, when operated correctly, will reduce smoke pollution by 90% and use one-third less wood.
For more information on the Wood Stove Exchange Program, visit one of these participating retailers: Accent Fireplace Gallery, Okanagan Home Centre, Penticton Home Hardware, Fletcher Building Supplies and Paquette Heating.
For contact information, program details, and a list of resources, see the RDOS Wood Heating webpage at www.rdos.bc.ca.