The LIV Golf International Series has arrived, and players kicked off at 9:15 a.m. ET (2:15 p.m. local) at the start of the controversial new round. We’ll have live updates throughout the first day, so check back for more highlights, news and analysis from day one of LIV Golf.
So, what do they wear?
If you are just tuning in, you will notice that most players will not differ in appearance from other leagues. Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia, for example, wear their usual strands with the adidas logo; Garcia with an adidas hat and Johnson’s TaylorMade logo cap.
LIV golf teams are represented to players by their caddies, who have team names and logos on their jackets.
For Phil Mickelson, Who lost sponsors following his comments in February About the “hateful greed” of the PGA Tour and the Saudi-backed league, he wears a black hat with the Phil jump crest and a black jacket with the Augusta National Golf Club crest.
Play starts at LIV Golf Opener
The opening shot of Dustin Johnson was shown live, and he splits the pass. Grouped with DJ, Phil Mickelson also hit the right track with his opening shot at No. 1. And so begins a new golf league.
In the opening moments of the webcast, Greg Norman joined the booth and said, “I’m excited to bring free agency to golf. The start of Venice is moments away.”
Go to follow
Journey to the beginning of Venice
As anyone who’s ever played in a charity golf tournament or big event at their local club knows, moving the start of the gun is a controlled mess. This usually entails an army of golf carts being launched at once from the club.
LIV Golf has gone one step further by capturing a fleet of London black cabs to transport players around the Centurion Club.
LIV Golf also threw a hype video on Thursday, narrated by Dennis Quaid.
Playing times and gatherings for the first day at LIV Golf
Here are the first day’s groups, along with the new team names. Everyone will fire at the same time at the start of the gun:
- hole 1 Dustin Johnson – 4 Asses GC Scott Vincent – Smash GC Phil Mickelson – High Flyers GC
- hole 2 Sergio Garcia – Fireballs GC Talor Gooch – Torque GC Pablo Larrazabal – Cleeks GC
- 3 . hole Charles Schwarzl – Stinger GC Graeme McDowell – GC Rippers Wade Ormsby – GC Punch
- 4 . hole Sam Horsfield – Majesticks GC Sadom Kaewkanjana – Iron Heads GC Andy Ogletree – Torque GC
- 5 . hole Richard Bland – Crushers GC Ratchanon Chantananuwat (A) – Hy Flyers GC Ryosuke Kinoshita – Punch GC
- hole 6 Jediah Morgan – Fireballs GC Ian Snyman – Cleeks GC Oliver Fisher – Niblicks GC
- 7 . hole Chase Kupka – Hy Flyers GC Turk Pettit – Niblicks GC Kevin Yuan – 4 Aces GC
- hole 8 Itthipat Buranatanyarat – Smash GC Hennie Du Plessis – Stinger GC James Piot (a) – Fireballs GC
- hole 10 Jinichiro Kozuma – Smash GC Phachara Khongwatmai – Crushers GC JC Ritchie – Cleeks GC
- hole 12 David Puig (a) – Fireballs GC Oliver Bekker – 4 aces GC Viraj Madaba – Iron Heads GC
- hole 13 Peter Ohlin – Niblicks GC Adrian Otaegui – Torque GC Blake Windred – Punch GC
- hole 14 Laurie Canter – Majesticks GC Martin Kaymer – Cleeks GC Hudson Swafford – Torque GC
- hole 15 Sean Norris – 4 Aces GC Travis Smith – GC Hideto Tanihara Rippers – GC Iron Heads
- hole 16 Branden Grace – Stinger JC Sihwan Kim – Smash JC Matt Jones – Punch JC
- hole 17 Lee Westwood – Majesticks GC Bernd Wiesberger – Niblicks GC Justin Harding – Hy Flyers GC
- hole 18 Louis Oosthuizen – Stinger GC Kevin Na – Iron Heads GC Ian Poulter – Majesticks GC
What is the LIV Golf 2022 calendar?
LIV Golf made its London debut, and there will be seven more events, both in the US and abroad, during the rest of the year. Here’s the full lineup:
- June 9-11, Centurion Club, Hemel Hempstead, St Albans
- June 30 – July 2, Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club, North Plains, Ore.
- July 29-31. Trump National Golf Club, Bedminster, New Jersey
- September 2-4, International, Bolton, Massachusetts.
- September 16-18, Rich Harvest Farms, Sugar Grove, Illinois.
- October 7-9, Stonehill Golf Course, Bangkok
- October 14-16, Royal Greens Golf Club, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- October 28-30, Trump National Doral, Miami
“Twitter expert. Incurable beeraholic. Subtly charming internet ninja. Typical web enthusiast.”